MY CURLY TRANSFORMATION

THE LIFESTYLE CHANGE THAT IS THE CURLY HEADED MOVEMENT

Sometimes I can't believe that I spent the  majority of my teenage years with seriously bad hair. At times it was the cut, sometimes it was the frizz but most of the time it was the lack of styling and lack of knowledge about how to keep my hair happy.


Exactly a year ago I said goodbye to my super flowy wavy long hair. It was SO split at the ends and knotted so easily. For real I didn't take care of it and didn't use any products to enhance my natural curl. I remember sitting down at my dresser, after a good sulfate and silicone hair wash(lol if you know you know), and trying to brush out the knots after coating my mane in conditioner from root to tip. There was one particular spot which matted and knotted so badly that I once cried over it. #trudat

After I cut my hair I  had it straightened out and styled up etc. so didn't really know what it was going to turn out like. I didn't wash it for about 3 days and I think more than anything I was really taken by how curly it was. I was literally 18 years old and discovering my natural texture for the first time! I remember standing in my kitchen after having a shower, looking into the window at my reflection and being slightly mortified. I looked like I had an afro more than anything and that was the first time that I realised just how curly my hair really was. There was so much bounce, so much curl definition and all without even styling it. Cutting so much hair off was THE BEST DECISION I have ever made and I can't wait to grow it out whilst still keeping it healthy.


STYLING

Something that I would really recommend doing as a curly girl is cutting out sulfates and silicones. I've only done that for the past few months and I've definitely seen a difference, my scalp feels less tight and there is definitely a lot more hydration in my hair. If you colour your hair(I don't) sulphates will also strip the colour - sulphates CLEAR OFF. Silicones should also be avoid - it's basically plastic for your hair, a serious NO.

I use three main products on my hair pretty much every time I wash my hair - about every second day but I find that the day before I wash  just are not the vibe. I'm still trying to figure out how to sleep on my hair without it turning into a bush the next day. I've been trying to get my hands on a silk head scarf for the longest time but cotton seems to be the only thing I can find.


When it comes to how I style my hair I brush my hair out before getting into the shower, shampoo and condition, and then flip my hair over and scrunch it until I can visibly see that my hair has clumped together the way I would want it to. Like anything my hair sometimes comes out looking amazing when I do this step, sometimes it looks terrible. Then I put it into a towel(not a cotton shirt - I know this information may be the start of my own demise) and style with the following products. Sometimes I blow dry with a diffuser at a medium hot temp. - sorrynotsorry

Not the best picture, but this is what it looks like just before I dry my hair. Hair looks good, eyebrows - not so much!

PRODUCTS

Creightons Frizz No More range is so inexpensive but really good quality, lasts forever and feels so good to use. Really an 11/10 product. Also really delivers on that no frizz promise! I love brands that are so passionate about quality and can still bring that to you at an affordable price.

 

From what I've seen online Twisted Sista is for women with a much courser texture in their hair but they also have a smaller range for girls with straight hair. I use the serum, which is for all hair types, after washing my hair and then scrunch from root to tip. I love the effect it gives when I take the time to do my hair properly.



I love to use this Goldwell Curl Crystal Turn  when I've let my hair air dry for a bit too long without styling products. It's super good for creating volume and enhancing texture. If I want to smooth down my baby hairs and those super short hairs that pop up all the time, I take a little blob and smooth everything down, talk about shooting two birds with one stone.



Thanks so much for giving this a read, I realise how chatty I am but you gotta get all the info in! This blog is about chat so if I want to chat, I'll chat. Have I said chat enough times?

Now then, I've heard about and met a lot of people who hate their curly hair and I feel so sad hearing that because I know the feeling - I was made to hate my hair by other people too! Everyone told me how good I would look with straight hair and I was once even given a voucher to have a Brazilian(not what your dirty mind is thinking) blowdry. Thankfully I didn't use it because I had heard how damaging it is. I'll attach some pictures of my straight haired days for nostalgia.


When I finally started to love my hair it felt SO good. I praise the lord and my family genetics for what I have. I am too blessed to be stressed when it comes the topic of my curls. I'm also really blessed in that I am naturally blonde, in winter I do go really dark but in summer the gold is for real.
Please guys - if you are blessed enough to have lovely curly hair try keeping it natural. You won't like it at first but honestly it grows on you, I promise!

Embrace your natural beauty

Sam xx

Comments

Popular Posts