BODY CONFIDENCE

My body is perfect just the way it is.

Repeat those exact words three times over.

3 years ago this blog was brought into being( how dramatic) and I've been very real about my life. I've talked about being single, my 18th birthday; my weakest moment of my life, and the grief that came from losing my mom which still affects me.

Being a very real person, who also treasures kindness(recently found that in some cases both cannot co-exist in one human) my biggest mission pertaining to this blog has been to show people that we all fuck up, but not to let those fuck ups define us. We are all flawed and those flaws come together in the most beautiful way to make us the strong, amazing people we are.

I try to be as kind to myself about my physical appearance as possible but lately I've just not done that in the slightest. I've seen all my wobbles and been focusing on my worst features which isn't really like me. I've realised that it takes very little to make me feel uncomfortable in my own skin, and I really want to change that.

I work at a pre-primary school at the moment(more on that soon) and I was talking to one of my colleagues about how, when I was around 13, I had a teacher who always commented on me being TOO skinny which I absolutely loved to hear and it got me thinking about how much has changed since then.

 I was really confident bodywise going into my first year of high school because of those comments and I can honestly tell you that I looked the best of my life. I wore bikinis and honestly just FELT SO GOOD. In a really short period of time I gained a bit of weight and started to feel rotten about myself and since then I haven't exactly felt really amazing about myself, just accepting of the fact that my body is what it is etc.

Social media changed my whole perspective of how a body should look. There are two sides to instagram: the very toxic "big boobs, big bum small waist and flat tummy" side and then there's also the "BODY POSITIVE" side. At first I thought that being body positive was all about accepting that you are plus size. I now realise that body positivity is about loving your body no matter what it looks like. You might be very curvy or a bit of a bean pole, it's all about embracing what you were blessed with and feeling comfortable with how great your body really is.



I've followed the Kardashians and all sorts of insta baddies, influencers etc. for a long time thinking that I liked who I followed but changing my feed was honestly the best thing I've done in a good long time. I love to see people who are in pursuit of a healthier lifestyle and authentic people who are just living their best life and sharing on the gram at the same time.

I'm still very sub-conscious about my body these days but I do definitely feel better in my skin. I don't take pictures that make me look thinner and I don't use body editing apps either - something that I did a lot for a few years. I'm  size 12 to 14 and living my best life. I've tried wearing bikinis and full costumes and felt good in both.

EXAMPLES OF WORKING THE ANGLES 


Do you notice what the slightest change of angle does? I look like I'm starting to develop abs in the first picture and my waist looks SO much slimmer. By bending my knee and standing on my tip toes on my right side it gives the illusion of being taller. Keep in mind that the way people position themselves is so key to a good insta. IG is lies guys! Don't let anything fool you.

Be proud of where you're at with your body. This bottom picture is so much more realistic and looks like my body, which I am super duper proud of!

Living that influencer life right here lol - do you notice how I've sucked in so much you can almost see the pain in my face!


Just to end things off I wanted to say that if you feel uncomfortable in your own skin there are ways for you to feel better. I've read a lot of books on body confidence and I hope that by sharing how I felt and now my new body attitude, it helps you and you realise that no one is perfect. My tummy is a bit wobbley and I've got huge thighs but I've learnt to embrace that. Mind you, I'm still in the process of it and it's much easier said than done!

PEOPLE TO FOLLOW

Megan(bodyposipanda) - for my folk
Emma(brummymummyof2) - for the mums


This pic makes me feel kick ass and I didn't really have any other pictures for this type of subject, so peace out I guess!

Sam xx




Comments

Popular Posts