South African English Decoded

This is the second post that I've done on my blog and it is so exciting.. Please keep in mind that it is in the beginning phases so it looks a bit ugly for now but soon it will look much better! If any of you guys know much about blog design you can maybe give me some advice..  So the post I am presenting to your lovely faces today is about South Africa. I wanted to do a post about the words we use on a daily bases and might seem weird to someone who lives in say England. 

braai = Barbecue
Yep, the thing that you cook meat and veg on outside on a Saturday afternoon, maybe your dad cooking the food with a beer in hand? These are so lovely and my neighbors do them all the time on the weekend as I sit at the dining room table and do homework.. ughhh my life!

babalas = Hungover
That feeling you get the morning after a  jol(party) not that I would have any experience with that..

bakkie = Van, pick-up etc
Car with a huge space at the back yanno

laaitie = young person
Some one that is young ranging from the ages of  0 - 25

howzit = How is it
Form of greeting

skelm = thief, criminal
no need to elaborate

ballie = dad
somehow derived for afrikaans people??

larnie = rich person or owner
a person is floating the cash I will often refer to as a larnie or if they are the head of a business they can also be called a larnie.

jol = party
"Went to a lekker jol last night bru" 

If you have any sayings / expressions that are interesting then please post them in the comments, it would be so interesting to see the sayings you use in your country!! 

Sam xo



Comments

Popular Posts